Sarah S. Barron
I’ve been practicing law since 1995, when I earned my J.D. from Cleveland-Marshall College of Law in Cleveland, Ohio. During my studies, I spent a year as a visiting student at the University of North Dakota School of Law.
Before opening Barron Law Firm in 2012, I worked in a number of other positions: Associate Attorney at Pearson, Christensen, and Clapp in Grand Forks, North Dakota; Clinical Instructor and Visiting Professor in the Clinical Education Program at the University of North Dakota School of Law; Staff Attorney for the Northeast Central Judicial District in Grand Forks, North Dakota, and Assistant Polk County (Minnesota) Attorney.
Prior to becoming a lawyer, I taught English at Illinois State University, Ohio State University, and Cleveland State University. I received a Ph. D. In English Literature from The Ohio State University in 1982 and a B.A. in Literature from Antioch College in Yellow Springs, Ohio in 1975.
I am a member of the American Bar Association, the State Bar Association of North Dakota, the Minnesota State Bar Association, the Greater Grand Forks County Bar Association, and the Randy H. Lee American Inn of Court. I currently serve as a member of the Disciplinary Board of the Supreme Court of North Dakota. Previously I served as President of the Randy H. Lee American Inn of Court, Secretary/Treasurer and Vice President of the Women Lawyers Section of the State Bar Association of North Dakota, and Chair of the Inquiry Committee Northeast of the Supreme Court of North Dakota.
I am married to John Madden, an Associate Professor in the Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders at the University of North Dakota. I have two adult children and one grandson. In my spare time I enjoy reading, audiobooks, music, and petting my cats and walking my dog.
Areas of Practice
- Family Law
- Estate Planning
- North Dakota, 1995
- Minnesota, 1996
- Cleveland State University, Cleveland-Marshall College of Law, Cleveland, Ohio
- J.D. - 1995
- Antioch College
- Major: Literature
- The Ohio State University
- Ph.D. - 1982
- Major: English Literature
- Taught, English, Illinois State University
- Taught, English, Cleveland State University
- Taught, English, Ohio State University
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association, Member
- State Bar Association of North Dakota, Member
- Minnesota State Bar Association, Member
- Greater Grand Forks County Bar Association, Member
- Randy H. Lee Chapter of the American Inns of Court, Member
- Greater Grand Forks Women's Leadership Cooperative, Present
Past Employment Positions
- Honorable Russell Anderson, Law Clerk, 1995 to 1998
- Polk County Attorney's Office, Crookston, Minnesota, Assistant Polk County Attorney, 1998 to 2000
- Legal Aid Association, University of North Dakota School of Law, Clinical Instructor, 2000 to 2002
- Grand Forks County District Court, Grand Forks, North Dakota, Staff Attorney, 2002 to 2003
- Clinical Education Program, University of North Dakota School of Law, Visiting Professor, 2004 to 2005
- Pearson, Christensen, and Clapp, Grand Forks, ND, Associate Attorney, 2005 to 2012
Pro Bono Activities
- Board of Directors, Greater Grand Forks Symphony Orchestra
- Board of Directors, Northern Valley Youth Orchestras