Barron Law Firm
barron law firm
An Experienced Family Law Attorney Serving Grand Forks, North Dakota, And Surrounding Areas

Establishing Or Modifying Custody

Raising a child is challenging enough even when both parents are living under the same roof. Parents who are not married, are living separately, or are going through a divorce have to work even harder to set up rules and expectations that are acceptable to both parents and in their children’s best interests. In these situations, sooner or later you are going to need a court order addressing child custody and support. I can help you obtain a child custody order that is in your children’s best interests.

The Elements Of A Parenting Plan

A written parenting plan that is incorporated into a court order will establish guidelines for both parents to follow.

Among other issues, a parenting plan can establish rules for:

  • Residential responsibility: This determines with which parent your child will live most of the time, and on what schedule.
  • Parenting Time: Parenting time or visitation allows the parent who does not have primary residential responsibility/physical custody to maintain a relationship with the child.
  • Decisionmaking Responsibility: Raising a child is about more than making sure she’s dressed and fed. One or both parents must decide where the child lives and attends school; make major decisions about the child’s medical care, education and religion; and make routine day-to-day decisions about the child’s care.
  • Child support: Depending on each parent’s income and child-rearing responsibilities, one parent can be required to pay child support to the other parent in order to provide for the child.

Because a parenting plan will affect your life and your children’s lives for years to come, ideally both parents will agree on a parenting plan for their children. Sometimes that is not possible. When you and your child’s other parent cannot agree on a parenting plan for your children, I will vigorously advocate for the parenting plan that you believe is in your children’s best interests.

How Can I Help You?

If you need to establish or modify child custody, I can help. To schedule an initial consultation, contact Barron Law Firm LLC online or call me at 701-732-0628.

photo of attorney Barron's family

How Can I Help?